Hearty and Wholesome Grub
Is it us or is there a distinct chill in the air? The evenings are drawing in, the leaves are starting to turn golden and it’s time to start digging out the woolly jumpers from the back of the wardrobe! We’re veering away from salads and picnics in favour of hot and hearty dishes for Autumn.
This is the time to enjoy warm and comforting foods that help keep you cozy and nourished. We’ve been pondering the dinners that dish out optimum comfort for this time of year. Without further ado, here are the top 10 foods to gobble when it’s chilly outside!
- Soup: Soups are an absolute classic when it’s cold. Whether it's a hearty vegetable soup, chicken noodle soup, or a creamy tomato bisque, soups are the epitome of warming sustenance. Best with chunky bread and butter for dipping!
- Stews and casseroles: These dishes are packed with flavour and warmth. Beef stew, chicken stew, or vegetarian chili are excellent choices for a cold autumn day. Whack it all in the slow-cooker for an easy-peasy dinner!
- Roasted Vegetables: Root vegetables like carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and parsnips are starting to come into season. Packed with essential nutrients, including beta-carotene, and vitamins C and A, they’ll keep you healthy until Spring. Grab a Roast Veg Pasty and you’re away!
- Pasta: Carbs are always a winner when it’s cold (and always!). Eat pasta dishes with rich sauces like Bolognese, or a creamy mushroom sauce for an ultra-comforting meal.
- Roasts: Roasts are back on the menu! Roasting a chicken, turkey, or leg of lamb not only fills your home with delicious aromas but also provides a superbly satisfying meal.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D-rich foods are essential during the darker months. Salmon is a great source of vitamin D, as are eggs, fortified cereals, milk and red meat. Opt for a steak-packed pie like the Ultimate Steak on pie night 🤤
- Citrus Fruits: Oranges, grapefruits, and clementines are at their peak in Autumn and Winter. They provide oodles of vitamin C and boost your mood if eaten regularly!
- Nuts: Nuts like almonds, walnuts, and pecans are high in healthy fats and can be a nutritious and satisfying snack.
- Winter Greens: Leafy greens like kale, swiss chard, and cabbage are at their best during the colder months. Sauté them with a generous knob of butter for a super side.
- Time for pies to shine! Obviously, pies and mash is the dish of the hour when it comes to warming the cockles. It goes without saying that we think you should be reaching for a pie whenever you can throughout Autumn 🥧🥧🥧 Some of our top picks are spicy Kickin' Chicken Pie, carb-packed Homity and a classic Steak and Ale!
With all these wonderful foods on offer, you should be fit as a fiddle and comforted throughout the colder months!
go on - take a Chunk!